|History of the University||Management of the University||Works of Art in Veszprém Campus||Pantheon of the University
||Places of Memory in Veszprém Campus||Life at the University|
Pursuant to Act XXII, announced on 19 of August 1949, the Faculty of Heavy Chemical Engineering of the Technical University of Budapest (BME) was founded in Veszprém. The objective of the establishment of the faculty in Veszprém was extending technical professional training, providing engineer training for the economy. The city of Veszprém was a good choice for settling the faculty because the chemical factories around the city and the researching institutes founded at the same time as the faculty – Hungarian Hydrocarbon and Gas Experimental Institute and the Heavy Chemical Engineering Research Institute – made the support of theoretical training complete with practice.
There was a prebendal college operating in Veszprém even in the Middle Ages where – according to the witnessing diplomas – besides the seven liberal arts law was taught. There are written documents on the library of the college which used to be outstandingly rich and wealthy in European comparison as well. In the second part of the 18th century the college was destroyed, however its everlasting memory enriched the spiritual atmosphere of the city and stressed its competence to seat a tertiary education institute.
Dr. Károly Polinszky, (at that age 27) associate professor of the BME Institute of Chemistry was charged with the foundation of the new faculty as the faculty curator. He not only had to organise the education, the settlement and placing of teachers but also provide the venues of education as well. All those needed huge organising and arranging work. The faculty got its first building the present Building A in its half-ready stage, then it reconstructed and finished it to make it apt for university education. The first academic year opening ceremony took part on 26 September 1949 with the participation of 16 teachers and 107 students.
Training time was four years (eight semesters) at the faculty. Education started in four divisions such as hydrocarbon and coal processing industry, silicate chemistry industry, electro chemistry industry and inorganic chemistry industry division. There were three basic subject departments: Mathematics, Mineralogy and Inorganic Chemistry. In the second academic year three more departments started their operation: Chemical Physics, Analytical Chemistry and Mechanic Department. There were technological departments established during the years of 1951 and 1952: Departments of Hydrocarbon and Coal Processing, Silicate Industry, Inorganic Chemistry Technology and Electrochemistry Technology. There was a Russian Language Lectorate operating from 1951. The subjects of ideology were taught by the Department of Marxism and Leninism which later turned to be the Department of Social Sciences.
Decree 25 of 1951 appeared on 09 September 1951 and declared the disintegration of the faculty from the organism of the Technical University of Budapest and the university became an independent university under the name of Veszprém University of Chemical Engineering. The university was led by Karoly Polinszky as a curator between 1949 and 1952 then in 1952 as a dean which was Endre Bereczky from 1952 to 1953 and Ernő Nemecz from 1953 to 1954. From 1954 to 1963 that was again Károly Polinszky who led the university as a rector. Meanwhile education and the structure of the university improved on. The Physical Education Department was founded in 1953, Organic Chemistry in 1954 while in the same year a ministerial decree ordered to increase the training time from four to five years. In the first three years the basic training was unified, subjects of technological departments appeared in the 4th and 5th academic years.
The Revolution of 1956 had a deep impact on the history of the university. Detailed exploration of its precedents, events and consequences was completed and published by Gyula Paczolay. – References.
The Department of Radioactive Chemistry and Chemical Processes was founded in 1963. The Department of Applied Economics was founded in 1969, from which – following several changes – the present economical departments have been born. The rector of the university was Antal László between 1964 and 1966 while from 1966 to 1971 Pál Káldi.
Through some changes the ten-semester-long curriculum of the Veszprém University of Chemical Engineering was in force from the academic year of 1954/55 to 1969/70, during which the first technical bedoctoring at the university took place in 1959/60 then the last mechanical diplomas were handed in1988. There were altogether 746 students who got this rank at the Veszprém University of Chemical Engineering and later the University of Veszprém. Since 1993 the system of doctoral training has changed.
The first two decades of the university were marked by continuous constructions, which were motivated by structural development and the rising number of students. The first big achievement was the construction of the wing attached to Building A which included two auditoria with the capacity of 250 people, some smaller auditoria and service rooms. Training already started here in 1951. By the end of this year Building E had been finished and that eased the problems of placing the administrative units of the departments. Experiment Hall D got ready in 1952 while the construction of Laboratory Building C was finished in 1953. The construction of Building B took place after several changes in the plans. The final stoneworks of the inner room of the aula in Building B were finished in 1961. Finished buildings were continuously occupied by the departments of the university during the constructions. The dormitory moved here in 1957. Management units were located on the first floor of the aula in 1958 and the central library on the second in 1960. The Gymnasium started its operation in 1963 while there was an isotope laboratory built in Building A in 1958-59. Parts of the basic project were building the boiler-room, the transformer-box, a garage, the storage room of flammable materials and acids. There were two large constructions to complete the basic project: a dormitory, meeting the needs of the age, with the capacity of 600 students to which students could move at the end of 1964 and a canteen with the capacity of 1800 portions which was finished in 1968.
Buildings of the University (Veszprém, lower campus)
The location of the units of the university became better and more rationalised through the construction of the 10-storey high Building I. The building was made equally for the sake of the university and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences with the proportion of 50%.
Special departments with laboratorial needs and laboratories for situating special instruments in and with centralised management went to the floors of the university. The building was finished in 1975. The construction of the dormitory and holiday site with the capacity of 128 people in Budatava was to fulfil the needs for rooms regarding correspondence and professional engineer training and for the employees’ holidaying. This building was built together with the scientific institutes of Veszprém in collaboration, and it was finished in 1974.
There was a significant change in the curriculum from the academic year of 1969/70 through the launch of a multi-level education. In the first three years the training was unified while in the third year a thesis had to be written. After a successful state exam the students got a chemical operating engineer diploma. This diploma was at college level. Those who reached the proper average of marks and passed the exam of their special subject which the curriculum determined as the pre-study of the chosen speciality and that was taken in the third year finishing the first level could matriculate for the second level, the fourth and fifth academic years. The special training, the preparation of the thesis and the state exam took place at the Department of Industrial Technology the number of which became six by the end of the 70’s with Radioactive Chemistry, Chemical Engineer Cybernetics and Chemical Processes. After finishing the second level the students got a university level chemical engineer diploma. The third level based on the precedings was the scientific retraining attached to the doctoral system. This several times amended training form at the faculty of chemical engineering and organising chemical engineering was ceased in 1995, however at the faculty of chemical engineering the operating engineering finish still remained in effect.
For nine years, between 1971 and 1980 Ernő Nemecz was leading the life of the university. Under his rectorate the system of education launched in 1969/70 was stabilised and – after some modifications – it remained in effect for more than twenty years. In the framework of this multi-level training system the two-level organising chemical engineer training started in 1973/74 followed by the third level, the organised technical doctoral training in 1974/75.
The educational achievement of the 70’s was the start of the course of agricultural chemistry which was a joint programme of the Georgikon University in Keszthely and Veszprém University of Chemical Engineering. Starting this course was motivated by the more and more widely applied chemicals in agriculture and the growing importance of chemical processes in the agrarium. After nearly two-year long preparation work, the training started in 1971. According to the plans students were to learn basic subjects in Veszprém then finishing with the others in Keszthely. So chemical laboratorial practices took place in well equipped laboratories in Veszprém. In this way establishing the course of agricultural chemistry was a preparation step towards the integration of the 2000’s.
In 1980 János Inczédy was elected to be the rector by the Senate, but he held this position for only one year. From the academic years of 19981/82 to 1988/89 Bálint Heil was the rector of the university. The Course of Instrument and Measurement Technology started during his rectorate in 1984/85 as a joint training with the Factory of Electrical Engineering of the Technical University of Budapest, which was organised by János Inczédy. In the next semester the chemistry teacher training course started in the form of correspondence as an additional course. In 1987/88 and 1988/89 new engineering courses started: mechanical then later electrical operating engineering. As the economy needed fewer chemical engineers, a profile change became necessary.
Rector János Liszi – leading the university between 1989/90 and 1994/95 – shouldered all the problems of diversification and in 1990 he proposed creating departments dealing with teacher training, changing the name of the university and establishing a new faculty.
The university had dealt with secondary school chemistry teacher additional training since 1985. At the end of the 80’s, after the abolishment of the compulsory Russian language teaching at secondary schools there was a lack of teachers of western European languages. The university established English and German language departments and based on the experiences of the chemistry teacher additional training it planned starting English language-chemistry and German language-chemistry teacher training courses. However, these courses could not be integrated to the that time existing educational structure of the university therefore besides the Faculty of Engineering there was a Faculty of Teacher Training established in 1991 and simultaneously the name of the university became University of Veszprém.
Departments of the Faculty of Engineering:
- Analytical Chemistry,
- Hydrocarbon and Coal Technology,
- Earth and Environment Sciences (former Mineralogy),
- Physical Chemistry,
- Environmental Engineering and Chemistry Technology (former Chemistry Technology),
- Radioactive Chemistry,
- Organic Chemistry,
- Silicate and Materials Engineering (former Silicate Chemistry and Technology),
- Management and Organisation (former Company Management and Economy),
- Chemical Engineering Cybernetics
- Chemical Processes.
New Departments of the Faculty of Engineering:
- Technical Informatics and Automatisation (1991-1995), later Automatisation (1995),
- Physics (1992),
- Economy (1996) later Applied Economy (1998),
- Informatics Systems (1995),
- Picture Management and Neurocomputers (1995),
- Computer Science Application (1995),
- Tourism (1996).
Departments of the Faculty of Teacher Training, from the existing departments
- General and Inorganic Chemistry,
- Mathematics and Informatics,
- Social Sciences,
- Physical Education
- Lectorate of Foreign Languages.
New Departments of the Faculty:
- Applied Linguistics (1993),
- English Language and Literature (1990),
- German Language and Literature (1991),
- Pedagogy-Psychology (1991),
- Theatre Science (1994),
- Biology (1994),
- Zoology (1998),
- Botanics (1998).
In 1991 a joint training started with the Theology College of Veszprém County extending teacher training with theology. This joint program went on until 1994.
The first technical manager and environmental engineer training of Hungary started at the Faculty of Engineering in 1993/94 simultaneously with PhD training in the area of chemistry and environmental science. In 1994/95 the Theatre History Course at the Faculty of Teacher Training was the first of the kind in Hungary, too.
István Győri was the rector from 1995 to 1998. Since the foundation of the university the profile has been continuously changing, expanding and that is often followed by organisational changes, separation and renaming of the departments. Replacing education based on fix curricula the University of Veszprém introduced the credit-system in the academic year of 1995/96. At the different Courses students can choose subjects meeting their interest besides compulsory and compulsorily chosen subjects and after passing the exams they may increase their credit points. To finish a course, students need to obtain predetermined credit points. In 1997/98 the University of Veszprém was rated as an accredited university by the Hungarian Accreditation Committee.
The university was led by Zoltán Gaál from 01 July 1998 for nine years. There were further significant changes in the life of the university under his operation. As a consequence of his sequacious, faithful organising and high quality management work the university turned to be one of the most distinguished tertiary education institutes, a ranked knowledge centre of the Transdanubian region.
The development of education and the organisation needed the development of the infrastructure and the further expansion of the university as well. In 1995 the buildings of the Heavy Chemical Engineering (NEVIKI) and Hungarian Hydrocarbon and Gas Experimental Institute (MÁFKI) built in 1952 and situated in Wartha Vince Street got into the possession of the university (presently Building M and N). Simultaneously on the upper campus, students could occupy Building O in the mid 90’s and later, in 2000 the Polinszky Hall, i. e. Auditorium Maximum was inaugurated, which was named after the first rector. In 2003 several buildings of the Castle were given to the university, where the Faculties of Arts Sciences were located. The number of students in full time education reached 5000.
Auditorium maximum - Polinszky Hall
On 01 January 2000 there was another significant step in the life of the university — in the framework of the integration of institutes of tertiary education — the Georgikon Faculty of Agriculture, Keszthely was attached to the University of Veszprém as the third faculty of the latter.
The Faculty of Economics and the Faculty of Information Technology were established in 2003/2004 and thus university had five faculties. Until 2006 the following were established (in brackets the year of foundation):
- Faculty of Modern Philology and Social Sciences
1990-2006 Faculty of Teacher Training,
2006-2008 Faculty of Humanities,
from 01 November 2008 MFTK)
- Faculty of Economics (2003)
- Georgikon Faculty (2000)
- Faculty of Engineering (1990)
- Faculty of Information Technology (2003)
The Pedagogy Research Institute was established in Pápa already in 1999/2000 and in 2000/2001 Foundation for Higher Education of Nagykanizsa started operation and through that the university had an institutional net covering the whole Transdanubian region.
The five faculties of the university continue their operation in three campuses in Veszprém, Keszthely and Nagykanizsa. Its higher educational trainings are available in several bigger towns of Transdanubia, such as in Pápa, Székesfehérvár, Ajka, Szombathely, Zalaegerszeg and even in Budapest.
The academic year of 2004/2005 was also a breakthrough in the development of the university. The starting BSc training was one of the first of that kind in Hungary. In the following year each faculty of the university started the modern basic courses (BSC, BA) which can be integrated in the multi-cycle linear educational system while preparation for master trainings also began.
At the beginning of 2006 a decision was made on changing the name of the university to Pannon University. The new name expresses more the role of the university and its aim for a comprehensive, regional function. Since 01 March 2006 the university has been using this new name delivering the mission of the university besides its strategic message.
In 2006 — pursuant to the regulations of the new Law on Higher Education — a new, significant change started in the life of the university. That was the time when the Adult Training Institute was established as the successor of the Consulting, Retraining and Distant Education Institute to manage higher educational professional courses and the different types of adult training. The most significant investment and its results were the University Library and Archives meeting all the standards of the 21st century and the inauguration of the Hotel Magister, a youth hostel with the capacity of 800 people. In 2008 the students could occupy the renewed Central Dormitory having a capacity of 500 people.
Since 01 July 2007 Rector Ákos Rédey has been managing the University that is a determinant higher educational institute of the Central Trans-Danubian Region. The range of trainings of the university having significant professional traditions and a great history cover – with a few exclusions - almost every scientific area.
In January 2010 the rector could receive a momentous document having an effect on the future of the university: Pannon University can use the building of the ex-Children Hospital free for 99 years after the territory of 1.2 acres was presented the university by the Local Government of Veszprém County. This gesture of the local government valued 400 million Ft as the real estate expert evaluated the building of the former Children Hospital having been standing empty for 10 years at that price.
The University has firm plans with the buildings: the Research and Development Centre of the highest standards of the University is to be established there. In the new building not only the laboratories, teaching and researching rooms will be situated but the new Students’ Service Centre as well.
Pannon University provides a great opportunity for obtaining knowledge from the areas of agricultural sciences, liberal arts, economy, engineering, pedagogy, social sciences, natural sciences and furthermore for professional and scientific activity over the curriculum.
The 11 accredited doctoral schools, international researches indicate the scientific importance of the University. Its teachers and researchers have results at different national tenders and the ones of the European Union.
As a researching university, being one of the key figures of the economy, the University assists the cooperation of the competition and business sector, the local and the central government in regional and international educational, research and innovative programs. Its objective is to strengthen its present role in the economic and social-cultural development of the region.
It has flexible reactions to the needs and challenges of the society, connects the participants of the scientific and business life and besides it has tight connections with the neighbouring countries.
We can say that the Pannon University is on the side of knowledge for it takes care of and creates sciences, guards and mediates culture, supports quality and builds academe, provides new perspectives for our teachers, our researchers and in a wider sense our professional community in the region, in Hungary, in Europe.
Meskó Gábor – Mohai Béla (szerk.):A Veszprémi Vegyipari Egyetem évkönyve 1949-1959. Veszprém, 1959, a Veszprémi Vegyipari Egyetem tanácsa, 245 old.
Schultheisz Zoltán (szerk.): A Veszprémi Vegyipari Egyetem jubileumi évkönyve 1949-1974. Veszprém, 1974, 218 old.
Bodor Endre és mások (szerk.): A Veszprémi Egyetem jubileumi évkönyve 1949-1999. Veszprém, 1999, a Veszprémi Egyetem tanácsa, 312. old.
Albert József (szerk.): A Veszprémi Egyetem története 1949-1999. Veszprém, 2002, a Veszprémi Egyetem tanácsa, 355 old.
1951-2001 50 éves a Veszprémi Egyetem Ásványolaj- és Széntechnológiai Tanszéke. Veszprém, 2001. május, a Veszprémi Egyetem Ásványolaj-és Széntechnológiai Tanszéke, 158. old.
Tamás Ferenc (összeáll.): 50 éves a Veszprémi Egyetem Szilikát Tanszéke. Veszprém, 2001, Veszprémi Egyetemi Kiadó, 80 old.
Utasi Anett (szerk.): A Veszprémi Egyetem Környezetmérnöki és Kémiai Technológia Tanszékének kiadványa 50 éves jubileuma alkalmából. Veszprém, 2001, Veszprémi Egyetemi Kiadó, 80. old.
Új Horizont, 1999 különszám.
Szesztay András: Az egyetem után…Budapest, 1970, Akadémiai Kiadó, 216. old.
Varga Béla (főszerk.): Veszprém megyei életrajzi lexikon. Veszprém, 1998, Veszprém megyei Önkormányzat Közgyűlése, 569 old.
Varga Béla (szerk.): Veszprém megyei kortárs életrajzi lexikon.1-2. köt. Veszprém, 2001, Veszprém megyei Önkormányzat, 537, 1114. old.
Egyházy Tiborné - Dömötör Lajosné: Üzen a múlt. Képzőművészeti alkotások Veszprémben, a Pannon Egyetemen. Veszprém, 2006, Pannon Egyetemi Kiadó, 97 old.
Paczolay Gyula: Az 1956-os forradalom eseményei a Veszprémi Vegyipari Egyetemen.
= Egyetemünk, 2006. 6. sz. 23. old. (1. rész), 2006. 7. sz. 20-21 old. (2. rész).,
BA – Bachelor of Arts - basic training on the area of liberal arts (baccalaureus)
BSc – Bachelor of Sciences - basic training on the area of natural sciences (baccalaureus).
Level of the Basic Training.
Includes the courses of the training areas of agricultural science, informatics, engineering, defence, military, medical and healthcare sciences, science of sport and natural sciences.
MA – Master of Arts - master training on the area of liberal arts (magister, master)
MSc – Master of Sciences - master training on the area of natural sciences (magister, master)
Level of Master Training.
Includes the courses of the training areas of the liberal arts, economy, juridical and governing sciences, art, art mediation, teacher training and social sciences.
MÁFKI - Hungarian Hydrocarbon and Gas Experimental Institute (Terminated: 1990-92)
NEVIKI - Heavy Chemical Engineering Researching Institute (Terminated: 1990-92)
BME - Budapest Technical University (present name: Budapest University of Technology and Economics)